Friday, November 18, 2011

Entry 7

I chose to write about Body Dysmorphic Disorder because I feel like although it is not as common or known about as disorders like OCD and depression it will definitely be an issue in the near future. When it does become a common disorder, I feel that everyone should be aware and well informed. BDD has only been formally recognized as a medical disorder for a little over ten years, so research is in its early stages. BDD affects 1-2% of the American population, which seems to be an insignificant amount. However, researchers believe this number is inaccurate due to misdiagnosis or undiagnosed. Individuals who may have symptoms of BDD are often times to ashamed or unaware of their disorder to go see a doctor. Growing up, major disorders and health issues were always mentioned or taught throughout my high school years. BDD was not one of those disorders mentioned in order to spread awareness about BDD, health professionals, clinics and schools need to inform the general public as much as possible. As a result of being informed, possible BDD sufferers will be more likely to seek help and will have a better understanding of what is going on in their life.
While writing my blogs I was able to focus on directing important points to my audience. I was also able to support each point effectively. It also helped a great deal by reading others work. I was able to see how other students approached and supported topics and ideas. Comments left on my blogs were also helpful in reassuring me that I was going in the right direction or helping me improve different aspects of my writing.
The one thing that was probably the hardest for me to do was to find reliable and credible sources. My topic is very uncommon and there has not been a lot of research conducted about it. I was surprised that I found as many sources as I did but some of the research and information was the same. I ended up using some information off there that I was able to back up with other more credible sources but was still disappointed that the majority of the information was questionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment